Wednesday, April 29, 2009

G8 10 29

G8 10 29

Presentation

We will use the words, “I’m afraid” to express fear, and also to express regret or sorrow.

Practice:

Emulation: Repeat after me.

Here “I am afraid” expresses fear:

I am afraid of heights.
My mother is afraid of bugs.
He is afraid of flying in an airplane.
I am afraid of taking that exam.
The students are afraid of speaking out.
I am afraid of not finding my true love.
I am afraid of singing in front of people.
They are afraid of snakes.

Here “I am afraid” expresses being sorry:

I am afraid there is no food left.
I am afraid there are no seats.
I am afraid that I can’t help you.
I am afraid your mother can’t give you a ride.
I’m afraid your daughter is very ill.
I’m afraid you have to wake up now!
I’m afraid you will have to study more.

Production:

Students will answer in complete sentences:

Are you afraid of snakes? Are you afraid of heights?
Are you afraid to sing in public? Are you afraid of speaking out in class?
Are you afraid of bugs? Are you afraid of flying in an airplane?
What are you afraid of? What is ______________ afraid of?

Express this using “I’m afraid”. There is no more pizza.
The seats are all taken. You got a bad grade on the test.
It has started raining. You have a lot of homework. I cannot help you with your work.
Your bike is broken. Your father is not here. (Explain this is used on the phone a lot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment