Wednesday, May 27, 2009

G8 10 30

G8 10 30

Presentation: Today we will practice using "I am afraid" in various ways. "I'm afraid" is a way we talk about fear. "I am afraid of fire." It is a way we can be polite, "I'm afraid I don't know how to use chopsticks." We can also use it to say we are sorry. "I'm afraid I can't go with you. "

Practice: (Emulation)

I am afraid of heights.
I am afraid I can't go.
I am afraid I have to take the test tomorrow.
I am afraid of water.
I am afraid of going swimming.
I am afraid that I can't learn to swim.
I am afraid that you cannot run in the school.
I am afraid that you must wear shoes.
I am afraid that the homework is due today.

Presentation: We also want to practice some ways of giving a friendly invitation. Here are three different ways:
Let's....
How about...
Why don't....
What about...

Practice: (Emulation)

Let's go for a walk. How about going for a walk?
What about going for a walk? Why don't we go for a walk?

Production:

Ask students to all share something they are afraid of. (Before this go through some things people are afraid of: dogs, bugs, snakes, fire, water, heights, etc.)

Give each student an invitation and have them practice politely declining it. (Illustrate the various forms of invitation as you do this.)
Let's go for a walk. (Student should reply: I'm afraid I can't. I have to go home." etc.)
How about going swimming?
What about having some ice cream?
Why don't we play soccer? etc.

Have each student issue an invitation. If they don't vary them, then insist they do. Show a picture or type a prompt to help them think of a topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment